Our monthly selection of the best articles on Latin America from around the internet.
1) Strategy and Tactics in Mexico’s Transformation (David Raby/Public Reading Rooms)
Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) has shown remarkable skill in combining clear and decisive action with tactical subtlety and flexibility.
2) The Spanish Right Wants to Create Another Venezuela (Iker Itoiz Ciáurriz/Jacobin Magazine)
Ever since the PSOE and Unidas Podemos formed a governing coalition in January, Spain’s right-wing opposition has denied its democratic legitimacy. Calls for police mutiny and resistance against the COVID-19 lockdown show how the Spanish right is imitating its Latin American counterparts, seeking to create a climate of chaos that can bring down the government.
3) Twitter Targets Accounts of MintPress and Other Outlets Covering Unrest in Bolivia (Alan Macleod/Mint Press News)
Mint Press News, along with a number of independent Bolivian news outlets and journalists covering the unrest there, were all targeted for suspension at the same time.
4) Western Marxism Loves Purity and Martyrdom, But Not Real Revolution (Jones Manoel/Black Agenda Report)
Western Marxism has taken a historic distance from the concrete experiences of socialist transition in the Soviet Union, China, Vietnam, and Cuba.
5) The New York Times Admits Key Falsehoods that Drove Last Year’s Coup in Bolivia: Falsehoods Peddled by the U.S., Its Media, and the Times (Glenn Greenwald/The Intercept)
In November 2019, Bolivia’s Three-Term Left-Wing President, Evo Morales, Was Forced By The Country’s Military And Police Forces To Flee To Mexico After Morales, The Prior Month, Had Been Officially Certified As The Winner Of His Fourth Consecutive Presidential Election.
6) Trump Hammers Cuba While Cuba Cures the Sick (Medea Benjamin/Counterpunch)
A team of 85 Cuban doctors and nurses arrived in Peru on June 3 to help the Andean nation tackle the coronavirus pandemic. That same day, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced another tightening of the sanction’s screws.
7) Disaster Looms for Indigenous Amazon Tribes as COVID-19 Cases Multiply (Scott Wallace/National Geographic)
Indigenous communities in Brazil suffer from the virus on one hand and “genocidal” interlopers on the other, rights groups say. With the coronavirus spreading into remote territories across the Brazilian Amazon, indigenous leaders and rights officials are pleading with the government to adopt urgent measures to head off a catastrophe.
8) Social Progress Deferred in Chile ( Angela Vergara/NACLA)
Governmental failures to respond to COVID-19 only reinforce the demands of social movements in Chile.
9) Meet the Far-Right Oligarchs Working to Topple Mexico’s Progressive President AMLO (José Guadalupe Argüello III and Ben Norton/The Grayzone)
A Trump-like Mexican oligarch, Gilberto Lozano, is leading a coalition of corporate leaders and far-right fanatics called FRENA to try to overthrow President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.
10) Coronavirus Is Killing Brazil and Bolsonaro Still Doesn’t Think There’s a Problem (Vice News)
Brazil has the second-highest coronavirus death rate in the world, after the United States. VICE News’ Seb Walker traveled from Rio de Janeiro to the remote regions of the Amazon to show the impact of COVID-19 and government inaction on some of Brazil’s most vulnerable populations.
Leave A Comment